Friday, January 07, 2005

I'm Quitting My Coke Habit

While I no longer drink Starbucks, I'm ashamed to admit that I've been supporting the evil empire that is Coca Cola almost every day for the last few years. I don't know why my knowledge of their human rights abuses, union-hating practices, and sheer disregard for the dignity of any living creature had no practical impact on my soda consumption. But reading this article finally made it all sink in. I'm swearing it off for good. Honestly, if someone sees me with a Coke product, yank it out of my hands and pour it over my brainless head.

In this consuming ZNet article, Harsha Walia offers an argument about Western compassion (in light of the tsunami) that I've seen attempted by commentators on tip-toe in other media outlets, but not nearly as brashly or thoughtfully as Walia does in this quote and throughout the article:

Meanwhile, international humanitarian and charitable organizations that have increasingly come under scrutiny for not only inefficiency, but also due to the larger effects of “international NGO-ization” that actively hinders grassroots development and autonomy, are suddenly propelled to the forefront as saviours for the Third World. Let us be clear that there is no doubt that humanitarian work in order to save lives and provide adequate access to food and shelter is absolutely necessary. But the larger context must never be lost: international aid and NGO work will largely defuse the anger of those affected by the tsunami. Anger that again the people of the Third world are not important enough to matter; that again, preventative measures (such as early detection measures that exist in the Pacific rim) that could have been taken were considered expendable. The power and anger of the people has again been channelled into victimization to curb any political resistance.

The author's linkages between natural disaster assistance and corporate crimes against humanity are astute and I'm glad someone put them in writing. Does anyone know if Pepsi or Dr. Pepper are similarly evil? Will I have to resort to the expensive Dr. Brown's Diet Cream or Jones' FuFu Berry?

1 comment:

hotdoorknobs said...

dude i just found out coke does some sketchy stuff, too. and just after i had bought a fridge pack of cherry coke! goddamn i love cherry coke.

doc brown's black cherry is good. dunno about whether they kill babies or not though. probably not. does rodman's got that?

and you know what? there's always ORANGINA.