Thursday, July 29, 2004

The Positions I Like

Last night I headed to DC9 to check out two bands with which I am not at all familiar - Essex Green and The Ladybug Transistor.  Due to the unfortunate late start of the entire show, I missed TLT completely and only saw the first two songs of EG's set.  Which turned out okay by me because EG was utterly morose throughout the entire setting up process, as well as during the first two songs that I stuck around for. 

Now, I'm not necessarily saying they're not an enjoyable band - from seeing them perform two songs (without their regular drummer to boot), it would be unfair of me to make that claim.  I just got the impression that they were not a happy crew last night and that it would not have been an all too pleasant experience to see them go through the motions of a performance.

Especially after seeing a surprisingly fantastic local band - The Positions!!!  They were actually happy and seemed to be enjoying each other's company and - hey! - the fact that they're in a band together!  They created a really great vibe and Nicole Stoops's voice was perfect for the classic pop sound provided by the rest of the cast.  The addition of Chris Guryan's trombone topped it all off nicely.  [Or was that my Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale that provided the happiness?]

No comments: