Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Madam Secretary

If only she could run for President...

This afternoon at a discussion about her book Madam Secretary Madeleine Albright unequivocally demonstrated her wit, intellect, and just general awesomeness. She provided clever insights into the current administration's [mis]behavior and related some rather humorous stories about her tenure as Secretary of State.

A particularly witty story about her relationship with and role in ousting then-UN Sec-General Boutros-Gahli:

[As related by Albright and re-imagined by myself]
BBG: I went to a Nigerian seer and he told me there was a woman named Madeleine and that she would betray me.
MA: [thinking to herself] My name is Madeleine...and so I will...

I have yet to read her memoir, but am now looking forward to it. She supposedly wove gender throughout her telling of her personal and political exploits.

Speaking of gender, in addressing a question about the women involved in the Abu Ghraib atrocity, she emphasized her belief in the necessity of having women in the military, but stated that they can't just become "one of the boys"...mmmhmm, yes.

[On a side note, I was the recipient of a random act of kindness today when a Loft Literary Center board member, upon overhearing of my lack of funds and consequent inability to purchase a book to have Ms. Albright sign, turned around and gave me her extra copy. "I have two and was trying to decide who I should give the second one to anyway..."

People can truly be beautiful when they want to. Thank you, Joanne.]

No comments: