Saturday, June 12, 2004

Goose on a spit

“‘All I know is I feel good going to bed nights, Doug. That’s a happy ending once a day. Next morning I’m up and maybe things go bad. But all I got to do is remember that I’m going to bed that night and just lying there a while makes everything okay.’”
-Tom to Doug in Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury


“...rolling over and over, four sides at five minutes per side, a Goose upon Insomnia’s spit...”
-Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon


Lately I've been plagued by bouts of insomnia worse than usual. I'm not entirely sure what that's about, but I do know that being speared and cooked on "Insomnia's spit" completely negates the comfort that Bradbury's character purports can be found in bed. Instead, it seems as if my bed has become a nightly opponent who can only bring frustration, inspire mindless punches into my mattress, or deliver bouts of fear related to ants and spiders.

Ahhh...well...who needs sleep anyway?

No comments: