Monday, March 27, 2006

Splish Splash, I Was Designing A Structure

Thanks to Ivars Peterson's The Mathematical Tourist, I have another mad scientist to lift up to one of my architectural pedestals: Frei Otto. The man uses the properties of soap bubbles to help him design mathematically beautiful structures, including the roofs of several Olympic buildings in Munich and the new train station in Stuttgart (soap model above). Almost as cool is soap film's simple solution to Steiner's four-cities problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we talking bar soap or body wash? Let's discuss this and other news sometime soon.

Sarah D. said...

Well, I guess we're really talking soapy water -- the experts recommend using non-perfumed liquid soap or baby shampoo! And I guess Otto is more into soap film than soap bubbles, but whatevs.

Yes, let's discuss these important matters soon.