Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Great Books?

Minnesota Women's Press has released its "2005 Great Books" list -- voted upon by women readers who participate in various MWP reading groups. Despite my recent increase in pleasure reading, I have to report that I've read not a one of these books. And given the descriptions (many of which give off the woman-on-a-search-for-self-journey vibe), I'm not sure I want to. There are a few that I may give a shot: Haweswater by Sarah Hall and Ursula K. Le Guin's The Telling, and...oh wait, that's it.

I know women are writing books that interest me: Nevada Barr, Sara Paretsky, Dana Stabenow, Dorothy Hughes, Ann Bannon, Ariel Schrag (!)...where are they on the list? Do mysteries and graphic novels not count as books?

3 comments:

Mark D. said...

Alas it looks like Dorothy B. Hughes died in 1993... even more depressing it looks like Julie Doucet has quit comics (if the quotes at the bottom of the Wikipedia entry are verified)!

Sarah D. said...

Aww...both items are depressing.

Fortunately, Hughes and Doucet can still be included on the Great Books List! It's not just newly published books that make the list: Mrs. Dalloway made it in '05. Maybe I'll start a campaign to get In a Lonely Place and Potential added in '06.

Anonymous said...

Though I haven't read either book on this list, I'd suggest giving Louise Erdrich a try. I have read some of her stuff (e.g. Tracks), and it has been very good and very interesting.