Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Frankly, Big Papi, I Don't Give a Damn

It’s Oscar time for baseball. Soon, overly muscular men will strut their stuff on the red carpet of the media (or at least sports journalists and the players’ PR reps will) to prove why each one is or is not deserving of the Cy Young, MVP, Rookie of the Year, and Manager of the Year awards. These awards seem as meaningful to me as a juicy filet mignon sitting on my plate -- not very. I can never remember who won the previous year’s awards, nor do I care to.

But I am intrigued by the debate stirred up this year (and in past years too, I’m sure) about the relative merit of giving the MVP award to a DH rather than to a player who participates on both offense and defense. Fans and journalists are pledging their allegiance either to Alex Rodriguez or David Ortiz for the AL MVP; most for Rodriguez are citing Big Papi's less than frequent stints on defense. Despite my Red Sox love, I don't really care who wins. But if pinned down to choose, of course I'd say Ortiz. The argument (thank you Scott Miller) kinda goes like this:

Normally, I subtract points for a designated hitter. I know the argument -- hey, it's in the rules that a guy can use the stick but not his glove -- but a DH still is not a complete player. However, Ortiz has been so money for the Red Sox over the past two seasons -- and particularly this year -- that I believe his summer has been special enough to warrant the award. Of his 47 home runs, 20 have either tied the game or put the Red Sox ahead. As Ortiz himself might say, that's a lot of clutch homers, bro.


Beyond what this discussion means for the MVP debate (cause I don't care, remember?), I'm more interested in the potential implications for Hall of Fame inductions, which I do care about. In 2003, when the debate was raging about Edgar Martinez, I remember staunchly refusing him a ticket to Cooperstown by arguing that as a DH he didn't belong. Now I realize that what I meant to argue was that EdMar shouldn't be in the Hall because of his lack of stellar accomplishments, not because of his position.

If Ted Williams had been a DH and hit in the same way, I would have wanted him to be inducted. Same with Pete Rose. (Oh, right.) Just cause you're a DH doesn't mean you can't be the most valuable player or Hall of Fame caliber. It just means you have to be pretty damn awesome to overcome the fact that you're sitting on the bench for more than half the game. I think Ortiz has it in him to do just that.

[Oh, and since I mentioned it, I may as well officially say on record that Pete Rose has my backing to be in the Hall of Fame. Anything he did while a manager isn't any more greedy or harmful to baseball than any number of moves made by players, coaches, and managers nearly every day. He just got caught. It shouldn't affect his status as one of the greatest players of all time. (In 1999 Sporting News selected him as the 25th Greatest Baseball Player, ahead of Sandy Koufax, Tris Speaker, Rod Carew, Mel Ott, and Yogi Berra, among others.) Hell, they let violent assholes into the Hall, so why not a gambler?]

5 comments:

EB said...

Well Woonsocket, I've done the research and you appear to be the first person to ever saddle Edgar Martinez with the moniker "EdMar". But as any true fan of the M's would now, the erstwhile Mr. Martinez is known to the world simply as "Edgar", emphasis on the "GAR". Would you call Pedro Martinez "PedMar"? I'll give you Kenyon Martin as "K-Mart", but that's neither here nor there.

EB said...

On a related note, an MVP award to Ortiz would restore some balance to the Yankees v. Red Sox universe by righting the historical wrong of the 1941 MVP vote.

Sarah D. said...

So...are you saying that you're in the Rodriguez camp? Cause you can't right a historical wrong unless there's another wrong being perpetrated...

Yes, EdMar was my own brilliant creation! Actually, Mark calls Pedro P-Mar (not PedMar, that's just ridiculous) and Manny is M-Ram. Why does A-Rod only get to shorten his name in silly ways? And if I ever had cause to talk about NoGar anymore, you bet I'd be calling him just that.

EB said...

Ortiz or Rodriguez? It really depends on your definition of MVP, an award so baldly subjective that it would be laughable if the other yearly awards weren't also so baldly subjective. I'm actually in the Ortiz camp, since the Red Sox aren't within sniffing distance of the playoffs without him. A-Rod is the best player of his generation, but this year I'd give it to the big fella. Numbers-wise though, it'd be a historical wrong righted and Ted Williams soul could smile a chilly smile.

Two more points: I'm not anti-name shortening, but I think it can be taken too far. I am a big fan of Alex Gonzalez being shortened to A-Gonz, though.

And secondly, Edgar Martinez doesn't have any stellar accomplishments? You must be stoned. We'll have a little chat about this sometime. But like it or not, baseball purists, DH is a position as of 1973. Welcome to the dark side, Sarah.

Mark D. said...

I still need an answer to this question: if the BoSox make the World Series, and David Wells has an at-bat in an NL stadium, and his massive beergut hangs into the strike zone, and said beergut gets hit by a pitch, will the umpire still call it a strike?