Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I Like This Band



Yeah, that's right. I like Guns N' Roses. A whole lot, in fact. "Mr. Brownstone," "Patience," and "Sweet Child O' Mine" -- some of my all-time favorite songs. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and "Since I Don't Have You" -- two of my all-time favorite covers. I even own The Spaghetti Incident. Yeah, I'm that big a fan.

So, what's prompting this sorta defensive spiel about G N' R? Well, see, I'm a feminist. And G N' R is one of the most notoriously misogynistic bands to have ever existed. "Have you not heard the lyrics to 'I Used to Love Her'?" I am frequently asked. Actually, yes I have, and it's a goddamn funny song. ACK! Did I just say that?

See, I've been tagged (correctly) as someone easily incensed by anti-women sentiments. Thus, I often have to justify my love of a band that seemingly spews such sentiments from their very pores. But good music is good music, and I can't deny that G N' R and all their blessed mid-song transitions make me wonder in amazement and awe. Sure, some of their lyrics make me want to hurl, but only while my eyes are simultaneously glazed over in music-lover heaven. And I sure as hell will not stop listening to them no matter how our views on women clash.

Which brings me to my next point...and I do have one.* Thanks to Jon, I now definitively possess the knowledge that my beloved "Idiots" love Bush. (And not the good kind, FYI.) Sure, we all knew about Schilling, and, let's face it, Timlin was no surprise, but the rest of the guys? Couldn't someone have leaked their disgust about having to meet the guy? I guess I'm still holding out hope that Millar and Damon were just being polite, but I'll admit that's a long shot.

So I'm ready to renounce my Red Sox loyalty, right? Nope, not even if the team holds a parade in Bush's honor on International Women's Day. As I may have indicated before, in my mind baseball and politics don't mix. Am I happy that my team is Republican? Obviously not. But that doesn't diminish the love that's steadily grown for them over 24 years. And I doubt anything could.

Which brings me to a third and final recent instance when I wanted to forget any social conscience I may have: Million Dollar Baby. Since I'm on so many listservs, I've been "treated" to a slew of passionate discussions about this movie, mostly surrounding the gender and disability-rights elements. It's a movie, kids. With characters and plots and perspectives you may not agree with, but it's still a movie. Creative license and all. Can't we just leave it at that?

OK, so maybe this discussion isn't fair of me. After all, can I really expect to have it both ways? Is it fair to be an uber-feminist when it suits me, and then want to forget my politics when it's time to enjoy music, sports, or film? Maybe not. These are important issues and perhaps I should be consistent.

But sometimes I want a song to be just a song; a baseball team to be just a baseball team; and a movie to be just a movie. No strings attached. No longwinded discussions. And no defensive explanations for why burying your wife in the backyard can be supremely funny.

[*That was a nod to Ellen, for those of you not in the know.]

4 comments:

IDIOTEQUE said...

I'd have to agree that these days people are more eager to be offended than eager to enjoy. In fairness, though, a lot of times things are downright offensive, so i'm not saying to overlook certain complaints. While I believe we live in much more sensitive times and that's it's important to be aware of these sensitivites, I believe that there is a line and then there is taking ourselves too seriously. I think the last paragraph says it all. All the things you mention are for entertainment and are not public statements about your beliefs or a dossier of your character. Love GNR for their kickass rock n' roll music, love the redsox for the love of baseball, and love a film if it's powerful and entertaining. It's strange when people come down on "fiction" (i.e. The Da Vinci Code) when there is far more "truth" to be dealt with in the real world. Media will always be a powerful tool of expression, but the truth will always be stranger than the fiction.

My 2 cents anyway. Reading through my comment, I see some imbalance, but It's quite the circular argument. Bascially, I don't/wouldn't look at you differently as a person or judge what your beliefs may be by the music, teams, and movies you support. Within reason, I find it ridiculous. The fact that you have Spaghetti Incident only earns more super cool points with me!

IDIOTEQUE said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah D. said...

Thanks, Ross. I definitely understand why people would get upset about offensive things in pop culture because it certainly can influence people's behavior in long-lasting, negative ways. BUT - there has to be a line drawn between observing and listening with some critical perspective and a damaging over-analysis that leaves someone with an inability to ever enjoy anything.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention - I also dig "Baby Got Back."

Unknown said...

I would just like to point out that the song "I Used to Love Her" was actually about his dog, which makes it slightly less creepy and a little more endearing. But yeah, they're still kick-ass and misogynistic.