Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Around the Horn

  • I can't believe this is my first post to mention either Kristin Hersh or Throwing Muses, yet my archives shamefully reveal that to be the case. My motivation for today's post was the discovery of this interview with Kristin (at Junkmedia) about the music industry and her new band, 50 Foot Wave. She has some awesome insights into the money-grubbingness of the biz, due to her own Muses financially-challenged experiences, and also continues to surprise (well, me, at least) with her unrelenting attraction to the domestic life. [NOTE: If the links to the ThrowingMusic website don't work, you may have to navigate around it yourself to see the bios for KH, TM, and 50'~. All apologies, but, really, how lazy are you?]

  • Check out New Patriot, an exciting new site created by a group of leftist Minnesota bloggers, where the posting's already been fast and furious three days into its existence.

  • And, given my post title, there's got to be a baseball story included, so celebrate with me now the most recent Red Sox victory over Oakland.

6 comments:

fairest said...

They gave up 10 runs in the 5th tonight, the Cranks I mean.

Sarah D. said...

yup - my housemate (who's a yankees fan) was crying in agony, while i was yelping with glee. now only 3 games back...

Nihilist Loves Hate, Hates Everything said...

Yo,
I'm a fellow Hersh fan; I got every (good) Muses album and I'm down with (some of) her solo shit, but are you down with 50 Ft Wave? I only heard a few tracks but i'm not really so sure i dig. I liked the Muses album from last year but was pretty iffy about the solo one, if that gives any context.
aight.

Sarah D. said...

have to say, the muses being my favorite band, i'm curious about which albums you consider "good"? i'm a purely non-objective listener when it comes to their stuff, what do you like?

50 foot wave is tons of fun - punkier than muses stuff with hersh screaming like a banshee. also saw them live in minneapolis and it was pure heaven to be at her feet, watching her scream at the top of her lungs while staring at the backwall...

Sarah D. said...

and screw lieber and the yankees win today.

Nihilist Loves Hate, Hates Everything said...

My favorite Muses albums are University and Real Ramona, though I have to say I really like last year's s/t a lot. My favorite song, however, is "Run Letter" from House Tornado, which I admit doesn't sound much like what the band's identity came to be, but i just think it's amazing. I said I have the "good" albums but really, the only ones I don't have are Red Heaven and Limbo (i've even got Hunkpapa, which i think is pretty weak).
I'll give 50 Ft Wave more of a look, I guess. I haven't seen them but I saw the Muses actually in spring '03 in London the week they dropped the new album and it was fucking stellar (not to mention that it was nice to be around an, ahem, older crowd). The rest of my friends wanted to kill me because I passed up seeing Billy Childish, but Kristin rocks my world.